Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Oops

Okay. Can we talk American for a minute? Because when you said, with your lisp and lovely British accent, 19,000 words, and I repeated back to you with a question mark 19,000? in my American accent to your hearing aid and you then repeated back to me 19,000 with a serious nod, I wondered why everyone suddenly felt the need to go to the pub after class and drink their stress away. In my mind I rounded it up to 20,000 and thought I could write that in a couple of weeks while still doing the rest of my work for school and working on my novel on the side. Piece of cake.

My cake has suddenly gone dry and stale as I realized last night my teacher had said 90,000 words. I have to write 90,000 words before January. That is, to put it mildly, not the same thing as 19,000. I heard 90,000 this time and thought, maybe I should have gone to the pub with the other students. I could pick up drinking; I may need to. 90,000 words is about 300 pages of a published novel. It is basically a full novel, albeit a bit short for the fantasy genre. When am I going to have time to finish the novel I am currently working on? But I am on track. I have already written over 7,000 words in the last week. I can totally do this! Bring it on!

BRING IT! IS THAT ALL YOU GOT?

2 comments:

  1. Um... this is insane. I could never be a novel writer. Too much writing and not enough ideas. Good thing you are doing something you love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally see you saying that to your professor! Now my homework doesn't seem so bad.

    ReplyDelete