Thursday, October 13, 2011

Middlesex

No, I am not confused about my sexual orientation. I am not wavering in between two choices. That is the name of my uni (university) here in London, technically Hendon. I first saw my campus the day after I arrived in London, which was Wednesday, Sept. 28th. Matt, the son of the people I am staying with, took me to campus to show me around.

Speaking of which, I know I have told this story to a bunch of people already, but I don't remember who has and has not heard it and it is worth telling, so funny story:
I wasn't sure where exactly we were going when we were walking on campus and he was on my left and moved right and I was not paying attention and moved left so I totally rubbed my leg up against his. He then said something like (and in a fantastic British accent) "I just barely met you and you're trying to rub legs with me." I immediately thought in my head, "I think I might bump into you" from the Holiday when Jude Law shows up drunk and I started to say it and then remembered that I always quote it in a British accent, of course, and then I thought I would just sound like an idiot trying to speak in an accent so I had to say something and finished lamely. But it was hilarious!

OK. Campus is tiny. I am used to huge BYU campus and most of all enormous library. I miss that library. But Middlesex actually has several campuses spread around London and students go to a specific one based on what they are studying. I have classes on Monday and Tuesday nights from 6-9. I don't remember if I mentioned this before but my teacher for Monday nights has Harry Potter classes and a really fun personality. It is a class about voice, not only the voice the character will have in a book, but the voice of the narrator and what purpose the author will have in choosing that particular way of speaking or saying something. yay!

Tuesday nights is my class on Character. I was nervous about how this teacher would be since she assigned a lot of reading to get done even before class started and the books were not all easy to find and my uni doesn't have a bookstore on campus. I had to order all of my books thru amazon.com.uk And I did not like several of the books. Anyway. This lady is short with red hair, a slight lisp, a hearing aid, and she has an awesome personality. I liked her immediately. Whew.

Though for a moment I liked her a little less when she told all of us doing novel writing for fantasy and sci fi that she wanted us to write 20,000 words of a new novel we haven't previously worked on and to have that done by January when we start the novel writing class. This means I will end up writing close to 40,000 words before January probably. The shock only lasted for a moment and then I liked her again when I remembered that in Brandon Sanderson's class I think we wrote 10,000 words a week which means once I get back into the habit, 40,000 words will be a piece of cake to do in over 2 months! Whew again. Granted I have I think 15 books to read in just this month alone, but I can manage to do it all!

After class on Tuesday I went home and plotted what I was going to write for my 20,000 words and between yesterday and today and all my homework I wrote 1,500 words.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous of your new British life! But, I am not jealous of your return to school. School is lame! I do not miss it. But, I'm glad that you are enjoying it.
    I'm even more glad that you are blogging again so that I can read about your London adventures.

    ReplyDelete