Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Distractions

Maybe I'm never satisfied. I sit down to write, either an email or a blog post or to work on my novel or short story, and I get so distracted. Even now, I paused to watch tv. Then I have to shake my focus back to the task at hand. I'll stare at the screen, fingers pressed to the keyboard, but my mind will be blank. At times it is too silent around me, a distracting silence, so I turn on the tv or the radio as background noise. Sometimes I turn on both at the same time so there is noise to block out the world. Then my mind and fingers spiral into a whirlwind.

Today is a silent day. I need the silence to write because my day was so blah that I want things to distract me, to fill my day with something instead of nothing. And work is close to nothing when it is days like today. With my blah day when the tv is on, I want to watch and not write. The problem is my roommate has guests over and they are loud. I need a studio that is sound proof, full of light, full of either sound or silence depending on the day. That's not possible, though, when I'm living in student housing.

No comments:

Post a Comment