Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Missing Maui

I had a wonderful time, despite things not turning out like I had planned, not that they ever do, but my expectations of traveling with my brother and sister were a bit off. We argue and fight when we are at home hanging out, what made me think traveling would be any different?

My idea of traveling and having a vacation is getting up around seven am, going out and seeing the sights, interacting with the people, experiencing their culture and way of life, fun activities like hiking and snorkeling, seeing nature and the beach, and a bit of shopping. I like to keep a journal and have quiet time in nature to write and sketch.

My sister's idea of a vacation: sleeping in till ten, laying out, spa treatments, lots of shopping, relaxing in the hotel room.

My brother's way of vacationing: sleeping in till 8 or 9, taking hundreds of nature pictures, doing many activities I like to do-but at a MUCH slower pace, eating good food, eating good food, eating good food.

But even with our different styles we still had fun. Ate lots of good food, played at the beach, went snorkeling and parasailing, saw Ulalena and Ha: the Breath of Life, had a Hawaiian luau and feast, saw the Polynesian Cultural Center and Pearl Harbor, kissed and got kissed by a dolphin, and spent more than I probably should have.

When I returned to work, a friend asked what my favorite part of the trip was. Is it sad to say it was not being at work? All I want to do is relax, travel the world, and write. Is that too much to ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment